I am a proud Clemson Tiger, born and raised in the south, lover of all things pink, orange, and preppy, fan of college football and basketball, preacher's kid, daugher and sister in a loving family of 4, talk with a southern accent, hoping to be a pharmacist, college senior, currently living in Costa Rica studying abroad. Join me on this adventure as I blog about it all - what I'm doing here and what the culture is like, in addition to my musings on faith, fashion, and current events.

HOW TO COMMENT ON MY POSTS

Below each post is a line with the time the post was posted, and at the end it says "0 Comments." Click on that. It should immediately take you to a screen that shows all the comments on that post, as well as a text box that will allow you to type and post your own comment. Make sure to click "PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT" at the bottom so that it will show up!

Thursday, September 3, 2009

"Bible study" with some ticas!

Mi madre invited me yesterday afternoon to go to a bible study-like thing with her last night that she goes to every Wednesday night with her aunts and cousins and some other ladies. Of course I was like SI SI SI, so around 7:15 pm last night she and I went to the northern part of San Ramon. I met many of the ladies who were all very nice. We sat down and the woman whose house we were at turned off the lights. She and another lady both prayed, very elaborate and long but VERY beautiful prayers! After that, she turned on some Spanish Christian praise and worship music, and I would estimate for about half an hour or so we listened ot that. Most of the women kept their eyes closed and some lifted their hands and clapped. The songs were beautiful and the words were simple yet powerful! I enjoyed listening to the music and participating in the time of worship with these ladies. After that, one of the woman, my host mother's aunt, had created a bible study on the woman who was caught in the act of adultery. She had several supplemental scriptures, and she talked and we had a discussion about being hypocritical and being forgiving to those who sin against us. I was amazed at how well these women knew scripture and about how interesting their conversations were. I understood a good bit of it and really enjoyed listening to their thoughts about the scripture and questions. We had a short prayer at the end, and then we all retired to the kitchen for hot tea and snacks! All the woman sat around chatting and laughing, and several asked me questions periodically about how much I was able to understand and how I felt about Costa Rica. We didn't leave until 9:30 or so, but it was fun, just observing how the women interact with one another and how they love each other. Afterwards we took home two of my host mother's "tias," or aunts, and then went back to our house. I went to bed soon after.

I really enjoyed spending time with these women and being able to be around other women who love the Lord. It amazes me how his love and power crosses all language barriers, and that I was able to learn something from the bible study and from the women, even though I didn't understand all of what was said. I am so thankful that I had this experience, and I look forward to making this a regular thing. All I have left to do now is find a church to go to!

0 comments: