I am a proud Clemson Tiger, born and raised in the south, lover of all things pink, orange, and preppy, fan of college football and basketball, preacher's kid, daugher and sister in a loving family of 4, talk with a southern accent, hoping to be a pharmacist, college senior, currently living in Costa Rica studying abroad. Join me on this adventure as I blog about it all - what I'm doing here and what the culture is like, in addition to my musings on faith, fashion, and current events.

HOW TO COMMENT ON MY POSTS

Below each post is a line with the time the post was posted, and at the end it says "0 Comments." Click on that. It should immediately take you to a screen that shows all the comments on that post, as well as a text box that will allow you to type and post your own comment. Make sure to click "PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT" at the bottom so that it will show up!

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Joy - Part One

*This post on joy will be the first of an ongoing series of posts on this subject.

I've been thinking a lot about joy since I have been in Costa Rica.

The day after we arrived, we had a day-long orientation at the University. They explained the program to us, how the classes would work, the excursions we would be going on, general info about the city and country...all the standard 'orientation' stuff.

They also explained that there would be times when we would be happy to be here, but there would also be times when we would grow homesick. The directors said that for a while, we would be in this state of initial excitement, until we got in a routine and got accustomed to our surroundings, and then the excitement would wear off and we would begin to live as members of the people and culture here.

Ever since that day, I have been thinking, and praying to God that my excitement for being here would NEVER wear off. I want EVERY DAY to be extraordinary, each with its own surprises and joys. So I've been thinking....how can I experience this? How can EVERY DAY be extraordinary? Do I really deserve that? Is it fair for me to expect that? How do I maintain joy here, so that every single day, in spite of what happens, that joy never fades, but only grows stronger and deeper?

I first raised this question to several of my closest friends and family members: "How do we OBTAIN and MAINTAIN the joy in our lives?"

So far, I have received a variety of responses. Throughout this series of posts, I will include those responses (and I will give credit where credit is due!). I have been amazed and challenged by the responses I have received already, and am looking forward to the responses of others. If you have thoughts on joy - general thoughts, for now - PLEASE comment on the post with your thoughts, or even better, e-mail them to me and I can include them in these posts! I am really looking to include thoughts from other people, because I think that joy is one of those things that can be defined differently by different people.

For now, I will include some of my initial thoughts on the subject:
-I am most joyful when I am most satisfied in the Lord. When I take time each day to JUST spend time with him and focus on him, I find that every moment of the day is joyful, in spite of whatever circumstances or problems come my way. Setting time aside each day, especially in the morning before I do anything else that day, helps me to adjust my attitude and to fix my eyes on the Lord and on what his purpose for me is. This time gives me strength for the day, it gives me hope and endurance.
-I also find joy from relationships with other people around me. I just love being around other people, and whether I am around people I am good friends with or not, I always feel joyful when I am with people. Being with my family and closest friends brings me an indescribable amount of joy. The encouragement and love they give is enough to make me believe that I can do anything!

What do YOU think? How do we obtain and maintain joy in our lives? What is joy? What do you each day to remain joyful? Is is something that we should work hard at?

0 comments: