I am a proud Clemson Tiger, born and raised in the south, lover of all things pink, orange, and preppy, fan of college football and basketball, preacher's kid, daugher and sister in a loving family of 4, talk with a southern accent, hoping to be a pharmacist, college senior, currently living in Costa Rica studying abroad. Join me on this adventure as I blog about it all - what I'm doing here and what the culture is like, in addition to my musings on faith, fashion, and current events.

HOW TO COMMENT ON MY POSTS

Below each post is a line with the time the post was posted, and at the end it says "0 Comments." Click on that. It should immediately take you to a screen that shows all the comments on that post, as well as a text box that will allow you to type and post your own comment. Make sure to click "PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT" at the bottom so that it will show up!

Friday, September 18, 2009

Thursday y Friday

Thursday was a long day. I had class at 8 am - Literature. I think we all were kind of out of it. On top of that, we had to read a long story that was written in the 1500s (in Spanish, of course) that we didn't really understand. I think we were all happy when 11 am came!

I went home and studied for my Advanced Spanish test that was coming at 1. We had lunch at home - crepes, which were pretty good! I took a 10 minute nap, watched part of a soccer game, and then went to school a little early to try to study.

Profe wasn't there when we arrived, and then we remembered that on Thursdays our class is in a different building on campus, but way up the hill. We hiked up the hill to the room, and there she was, waiting. We took the test, and it was pretty short, but TOO hard....or at least for me, anyway. After we finished she let us go get a snack, so we took a 30 minute break or so, and then came back. For the second part of the class, we learned about onomatopoeia, in Spanish. It was interesting, and funny too, because we learned about ANIMAL onomatopoiea! She said that few Costa Ricans even know what some of the words are that we learned. We also looked at a list of comparisons that are used commonly here. The rest of the class was fairly laid back, which we were thankful for since we had just been murdered by our test!

After class, I waited around campus for dance class to start. We started around 5:30, with my favorite - SALSA! I hope that by the end of this class I can dance like a TICA! We also went over meringue, and next week we will be learning cumbia, I believe.

We all walked home and decided to meet up at 8:30 out our favorite ice cream spot near the parque. Only a few showed up, so we had some ice cream, and then walked around and decided to go to the supermercado so that those going on their field study this weekend could get some food and stuff! We ran into 2 of our other amigos, and eventually we migrated to the park. We ran into MO's host brother and his posse of tico friends, so we hung out with them for a couple of hours or so. We taught each other slang words in our different languages, and just had a good time laughing and talking! We all took taxis home, and I came in and went to bed immediately!

Last night was the 3rd night in a row that I haven't slept good. Normally, I am a hard sleeper - when I fall asleep, I really don't move at all until I wake up the next morning. The last few nights I have been tossing and turning, and from what I can guess, it's because I'm sick with a terrible head cold.

Anyway, I woke up this morning and got dressed and made it to school around 8. Today our culture class went to San Jose for the day to visit the National Museum and the Gold Museum. The next post will have the pictures!!!! (I also have scads more posted on facebook!) It was interesting and we learned a lot about the history of Costa Rica. For lunch, instead of stopping at the gringo spots - aka McDonald's, BK, KFC - our profe took us to a food court that had a lot of typical Costa Rican dishes. For 2200 colones (less than $5 US), Tonya got rice, mashed potatoes, grilled chicken, veggies, a fresca (drink), and some soup. And it was SO tasty!!! I love how cheap things are here and how DELICIOUS they are!

We also walked through an old market that was a block wide and a block long that had anything you could ever imagine. It wasn't a tourist spot, but more a place for locals, but you could buy souvenirs too, like a little hidden gem, almost!

We came back and arrived around 4:30. I got in my bed immediately and watched a movie and relaxed, and have been doing just that until now (7 pm CR time!). We are about to eat supper. I'm not sure what the night will hold - I don't really feel well, so we'll just have to see what happens!

0 comments: