I am a proud Clemson Tiger, born and raised in the south, lover of all things pink, orange, and preppy, fan of college football and basketball, preacher's kid, daugher and sister in a loving family of 4, talk with a southern accent, hoping to be a pharmacist, college senior, currently living in Costa Rica studying abroad. Join me on this adventure as I blog about it all - what I'm doing here and what the culture is like, in addition to my musings on faith, fashion, and current events.

HOW TO COMMENT ON MY POSTS

Below each post is a line with the time the post was posted, and at the end it says "0 Comments." Click on that. It should immediately take you to a screen that shows all the comments on that post, as well as a text box that will allow you to type and post your own comment. Make sure to click "PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT" at the bottom so that it will show up!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

algunas comparaciones

  • The US has pretty strict copyright rules and regulations. Normally, professors will not make photocopies of books, unless classes have just begun and people don't have their books for the first day or two. If you just bought books for this semester and had to pay out the wazoo for books, then brace yourself.
    Here in Costa Rica, the copyright rules are a lot less stringent, and professors can drop a book (or whatever they want copied) off at a photocopy place (they are EVERYWHERE down here!), and they will photocopy the entire textbook and let you buy it that way instead. As long as the professor isn't making any profit off of it, this is fine. So I went today to the photocopy place to pick up my books and additional reading for my classes and guess how much I paid for my textbook for one class....4600 colones, or $8-9 USD. Yes, $8-9 US DOLLARS. Isn't that crazy?!
  • I'm not sure if this is the case in the rest of the town, country, etc., but good lighting is hard to come by here. In the classrooms at the University, the lights are not turned on at all during the day. They aren't at home either. They use only the natural light, which is good, unless it's cloudy, which it is most of the time. The light in my room is very dim, but luckily I have a desk lamp that is able to give good bright light for reading things. Hope this doesn't mess with my eyes!
  • For many phrases or words in Spanish, there are no direct translations. Sometimes that is hard for me to deal with. I am bad about trying to translate things to English so that I can think about them, instead of reading and understanding them in Spanish. Last summer in Ecuador, I stopped doing that after a while and got used to just thinking in Spanish, which is kind of mind-boggling, but cool at the same time. Hopefully once I have been here a little longer I will be able to just read things and make myself not think in English, but just think in Spanish!

1 comments:

momster said...

Do we need to start communicating to you in Spanish too? All I know is si and buenos dias...i think. I love you posts. And I love you. MOM