I am a proud Clemson Tiger, born and raised in the south, lover of all things pink, orange, and preppy, fan of college football and basketball, preacher's kid, daugher and sister in a loving family of 4, talk with a southern accent, hoping to be a pharmacist, college senior, currently living in Costa Rica studying abroad. Join me on this adventure as I blog about it all - what I'm doing here and what the culture is like, in addition to my musings on faith, fashion, and current events.

HOW TO COMMENT ON MY POSTS

Below each post is a line with the time the post was posted, and at the end it says "0 Comments." Click on that. It should immediately take you to a screen that shows all the comments on that post, as well as a text box that will allow you to type and post your own comment. Make sure to click "PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT" at the bottom so that it will show up!

Monday, August 24, 2009

Monday

El primer dia de las clases!!

I woke up around 6:45 am and got ready and had breakfast at the casa - scrambled eggs and pancakes! I left around 7:45 for school, and ran into the other 2 girls that live just up the street from me. We walked to school together and made it just in time. Class (Society and the Environment) began promptly at 8 am. Our profesora, Claudia (also a member of the USAC staff here), went over the syllabus. The class doesn't appear to be too bad. We have a midterm, which is a take-home exam, and a final, which is just an oral presentation. We also have to find a news paper article each week and write a summary and reflection on it. Additionally, we have short assignments. The three hours of the class passed quickly. There are 9 students, all USAC students, in the class.

After class, some of us walked around town to find a store to buy notebooks and school supplies. We found one, and silly me should have thought to bring my own school supplies. I thought they would be cheaper here, but I was wrong! I had to buy a spiral notebook, paper, dividers, envelopes for application stuff, and some tape to hang pictures in my room, and a notepad because I make lists all the time, and I think all of that was $20. Quite a bit if you ask me! Not a problem though, because it was all things that I needed. We all then walked our separate ways home.

I got home and the family had gone to take the children to get some pizza. When they return, my host mother cooked for me and my host father, and we enjoyed a meal of arroz con pollo (rice w/ chicken), papas (potato chips), ensalada, and the corazon (heart) of a palmera (palm tree). The food was delicious. My mother said that rice is a staple food item here, and that people eat it with everything. She also let me try the heart of a palm tree (I forget the name). She said there are many many ways to prepare it as well. She put it in vinegar and put some salt on it. It was okay, just a bit bitter, but still tasty and flavorful! She is so caring, especially when it comes to food! I told her when I got here that I wanted to try lots of different things, especially those foods typical of Costa Rican meals. So far, she has let me try something new (and delicious) each day.

The weather here today is beautiful!!!!! I am outside on the patio at my house now, enjoying the sunshine and the constant cool breeze blowing. The sun rays are very strong here, so I'll have to be sure to wear some sunscreen next time I am going to be outside a lot. It's such a beautiful day, though...the perfect mix of the sun's heat and the cool wind. I am so glad that I am here, and can't believe that I am fortunate enough to be having this experience. Though the journey to be able to come here was a difficult one, it made me so much more appreciative, then and especially now, of all that I am getting to do. I'm sure I would have been thankful to be here regardless of the circumstances, but knowing the the Lord worked it out all for me has made it a million times better!!! I am probably going to enjoy the rest of the day on the patio, relaxing, responding to e-mails, and working on applications.

Ciao for now!

1 comments:

momster said...

I am glad you have great weather. And you make the food sound so delicious. It sounds like you are having a blast. I love you. MOM