I am a proud Clemson Tiger, born and raised in the south, lover of all things pink, orange, and preppy, fan of college football and basketball, preacher's kid, daugher and sister in a loving family of 4, talk with a southern accent, hoping to be a pharmacist, college senior, currently living in Costa Rica studying abroad. Join me on this adventure as I blog about it all - what I'm doing here and what the culture is like, in addition to my musings on faith, fashion, and current events.

HOW TO COMMENT ON MY POSTS

Below each post is a line with the time the post was posted, and at the end it says "0 Comments." Click on that. It should immediately take you to a screen that shows all the comments on that post, as well as a text box that will allow you to type and post your own comment. Make sure to click "PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT" at the bottom so that it will show up!

Saturday, August 22, 2009

el sabado

Today we had our orientation of the program. Claudia, Carlos, Gerardo, and Jose are the people helping us. Jose is a student, but he is good with computers so he is going to help us out a lot. Claudia and Carlos both studied in the U.S. and speak English very well.


They gave us a walking tour of the school. We saw most of the buildings and the library. The library is what you would expect...old, lots of books, and desks and computers for studying. We had lunch in the cafeteria. We had "lasagna" with chicken, though it wasn't like your typical lasagna. It was more like chicken pot pie. Whatever it was, it was good! We then went back and got our classes straightened out. They had the "schedule" set up, but since this is such a small program (15 or so students), we totally changed the scheduling for the classes, and now, there are no classes ever on Fridays!!! HOORAY FOR LONG WEEKENDS!!! We also found out that we have several days off! We have next Monday off for San Ramon Day, a day in September for Independence Day, Columbus Day, the week-long field trip, and 2 days for Thanksgiving! I'm so thankful they gave us thanksgiving off. It's more holidays than I am used to at Clemson, and I like it!! I really could get used to school like this!!!

Speaking of classes, here is when my classes meet:
Monday 8am-11am
Tuesday 5pm-7pm
Wednesday 8am-11am
Thursday 8am - 11am and 5pm-7pm (LA dance class!!!)

I love this schedule!!!! Well, right now I do. I haven't started classes yet, so we'll see how it goes then!

A handful of us then decided to walk around town a little bit. We stopped first at the house of a girl who lives up the street from the University and met her host mother, who talked VERY fast and seemed to think that we understood every word. Then we walked down a main road. I was thirsty, so we stopped in a tienda, because I really wanted a glass bottled Coke (normally I do NOT drink Coke, unless it is out of a glass bottle). Well, I got my coke and we took it up front to pay, and the girl asked if I wanted a "bolsita." Of course, I, the silly gringo, said yes. The girl then proceeds to pour my coke in a plastic bag, and hands me a straw to drink with. I didn't know how to react, so we all made it out of the store somehow before we started laughing. I felt like I was carrying home a new pet fish from Walmart or something. We all thought it was funny. I then saw a young local walking down the street doing the same thing, drinking out of a plastic bag, so I didn't feel so bad then. It was quite an experience. (I later found out that this is pretty normal here.)

We then walked to the house of another student and met her mother, and host brother who speaks very good English (he teaches English in San Jose). We spent some time talking to them, and then he offered to take us to the bank so I could exchange my US dollars for colones. A man had to unlock the door so that I could go inside, and then he checked my bag. I got my money exchanged with no problems, and then we headed back to the house. I walked home from there, and temporarily got lost. Thankfully, the city is in perfect little blocks, so I found my way home very easily!

My mom fed me some crackers and juice when I got home (I sound like a parrot!) because I wasn't hungry enough for a full meal. I then talked to the parents on Skype before heading up the street to meet a student who lives close by. All of us had planned earlier to meet up at the parque in town where the festival was going on. We walked downtown together. It was a pleasant walk, cool (and well-lit, mom). We all met and walked around and enjoyed people-watching all the ticos. There was live music, and then some interesting dancing. There were groups of girls that performed who were from a dance school, who looked like they were doing some sort of provocative arabian dance. It was ... interesting. Some of us then decided to walk to a discoteca, so we went inside for a bit. It only stays open till 7 AM, but we left around 11:30. Again, fun to watch how people act down here. All the girls get REALLY dressed up to go out and about, but they are all very beautiful!

A group of us all walked home together. I came in and went to bed.

1 comments:

momster said...

I am so glad you are having a great time already! I hope you meet lots of new friends...Americans as well as Costa Ricans. Experience everything you have an opportunity to experience about Costa Rica. It is a beautiful place. I am looking forward to seeing some pictures soon!! I love you...