I am a proud Clemson Tiger, born and raised in the south, lover of all things pink, orange, and preppy, fan of college football and basketball, preacher's kid, daugher and sister in a loving family of 4, talk with a southern accent, hoping to be a pharmacist, college senior, currently living in Costa Rica studying abroad. Join me on this adventure as I blog about it all - what I'm doing here and what the culture is like, in addition to my musings on faith, fashion, and current events.

HOW TO COMMENT ON MY POSTS

Below each post is a line with the time the post was posted, and at the end it says "0 Comments." Click on that. It should immediately take you to a screen that shows all the comments on that post, as well as a text box that will allow you to type and post your own comment. Make sure to click "PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT" at the bottom so that it will show up!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

"Leche con cafe"

For breakfast this morning I had scrambled eggs, toast, OJ, and coffee. I took too long to get ready and didn't scoot out the door until 7:50 or so, and it takes about 10 minutes for me to get to school, walking. I got to school and headed to my 8 am class, the one I have been dreading the most, International Political Economy. Politics and Economics are two of my least favorite subjects to discuss, basically because I don't know much about either of them. It's not that I don't care, but topics in those areas are just a bit more difficult for me to understand than something in the health care field, for example. Anyway, I used the walk to school to prepare myself and took some time to pray about it, and I decided to keep an open mind and view this class not as an obstacle, but as an opportunity for me to learn more about things that I really should know about and be able to talk about. The professor's name is Carlos, and he is a pretty cool guy. I forgot to mention, the class is in Spanish. Can you understand my fear now? Not only would I be discussing and learning about things I really didn't know much about, but I would also be doing so in Spanish. I can barely talk about these things in English! Anyway, Carlos speaks slower so that we all understand, and he explains things in a way that we are able to understand. He is very animated when he speaks and is very passionate about it! I think it will be very interesting to see things from his point of view. He explained to us that he would teach and offer his opinions from the perspective of a professor of economics.

About halfway through the class, we took a 20 minute break and walked down the street to get some coffee. We had a brief discussion about the cafe here, and another student, who I will call T, made a very accurate observation. I noticed the first morning I was here, when my mother asked if I wanted coffee and I said YES, that when she made the coffee for me, the glass was about 3/4 full with MILK, and the other 1/4 was coffee, instead of the other way around like I normally have it. Today, in the cafe, when the lady prepared each of our cups, she did the same thing, and T made the statement that here in Costa Rica, we don't have cafe con leche, but we have "leche con cafe!"

We returned to class and ended around 10:40, earlier than planned! He gave us a copy of a text that we need to read for next week...20 pages of "Las Economias Latinoamericanas, 1950-1990." BUT, since the class is taught in Spanish, the readings are in Spanish too. Que lastima! I began reading some of it earlier, and it took me multiple times to get through the first paragraph, since there are a few words I have to look up and since the sentence structure in Spanish is quite different sometimes. I'm going to TRY to do 4-5 pages a day, but it could get ugly really quickly.

I spent some more time doing homework for my other classes, mostly some reading. I took a great nap today too. It has been cloudy and rainy here today, so it was a nice day to have to be lazy. For lunch I had "pescado" or fish, fried, with lime juice squeezed on top. I normally don't like fish, but it was DELICIOUS with the lime juice! Maybe this is something normal that we actually do back home but I just didn't know about it! It was served with rice, of course, and some sort of wonderful vegetable stir fry. I thought I may lose weight when I got down here, but I think I was unfortunately terribly mistaken. I am going to have to get a good exercise routine down so that I can keep the weight gain down with all this INCREDIBLY delicious food here!

I have spent most of the day studying for my classes next week. We have a field trip this weekend to the jungle, and then there are fiestas Sunday and Monday for the big festival going on right now, so I want to get my work done! I am going to try to read some more for my IPE class.

Tomorrow, I have class at 8 am, Survey of Latin American Literature, and then at 1:30, Gerardo and I are going to the hospital to talk with someone there about my internship. I am just trying to check out all of the possibilities so I can decide what works best for me! Then tomorrow evening, I have the Latin American dance class for 2 hours, which I am VERY excited about! Then I won't look like a silly gringa when I am out and about in town.

Buenas noches!

0 comments: