I am a proud Clemson Tiger, born and raised in the south, lover of all things pink, orange, and preppy, fan of college football and basketball, preacher's kid, daugher and sister in a loving family of 4, talk with a southern accent, hoping to be a pharmacist, college senior, currently living in Costa Rica studying abroad. Join me on this adventure as I blog about it all - what I'm doing here and what the culture is like, in addition to my musings on faith, fashion, and current events.

HOW TO COMMENT ON MY POSTS

Below each post is a line with the time the post was posted, and at the end it says "0 Comments." Click on that. It should immediately take you to a screen that shows all the comments on that post, as well as a text box that will allow you to type and post your own comment. Make sure to click "PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT" at the bottom so that it will show up!

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sunday, cont.

I had breakfast with the familia kind of late, and had spent a lot of time online responding to e-mails and getting things sorted out for classes here. My host sister, Adriana, asked me if I wanted to go to the parque with her and her friend Shae who is here from Canada! Of course, I said YES! We went and got some DELICIOUS ice cream, and sat in the park for a while, talking and people-watching like everyone else there. The park is the place to be on Sunday afternoons!

Later, the rest of the family came and picked us up, and we all went out to lunch together at a restaurant on the outskirts of town. Mom, I had my first dish of shrimp!!! I had "camaron con arroz," or shrimp with rice, and a small ensalada. It was DELICIOUS. I had peach tea to drink, and it was better than ANY peach tea that I have ever had in the US! The restaurant was great!!

We then rode around town and stopped by the uncle's house to get some things for Shae. I met their uncle, aunt, and cousins. The families here are really really close, and all see each other very often. Afterwards, we just came back to the house to hang out. Now I'm sitting here hanging out with the girls while Adriana does some studying. I think they are going out somewhere tonight. I will probably hang out here with the rest of the family. I need to work on some applications for pharmacy schools and send some more e-mails.

By the way....I love it here. I feel like I have been here longer than 2 days, but I really do love it. There are so many differences between the culture here and back home, but I love all of the differences. The biggest difference here that I am getting used to VERY quickly is the fact that EVERYONE greets everyone with a kiss on the cheek. As a young gringa, I do love this tradition. :o)

I've also noticed how loving and affectionate the people here are. Families are so much closer and see each other a lot more often and very involved in each others' lives. Couples are more affectionate too, even those that are much older. I think that this is great, except for when there are couples that are VERY touchy and that like to make out in public parks. I'll have to get used to that one!

Stay tuned....every minute I am here holds a new experience and a new adventure. I still can't believe I am here! I feel so lucky, and am loving every moment so far. Hopefully this won't change once classes start!

1 comments:

KB said...

Hey Tonya, it sounds like you are having a great time adjusting to your "home away from home". I love the way you described the food, it sounds great! I will keep you posted on the football game. Have fun and be safe!