I am a proud Clemson Tiger, born and raised in the south, lover of all things pink, orange, and preppy, fan of college football and basketball, preacher's kid, daugher and sister in a loving family of 4, talk with a southern accent, hoping to be a pharmacist, college senior, currently living in Costa Rica studying abroad. Join me on this adventure as I blog about it all - what I'm doing here and what the culture is like, in addition to my musings on faith, fashion, and current events.

HOW TO COMMENT ON MY POSTS

Below each post is a line with the time the post was posted, and at the end it says "0 Comments." Click on that. It should immediately take you to a screen that shows all the comments on that post, as well as a text box that will allow you to type and post your own comment. Make sure to click "PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT" at the bottom so that it will show up!

Friday, November 20, 2009

busy busy busy

WHEW. I am EXHAUSTED. But it looks like I won't be getting much sleep tonight either!

Thursday
Thursday was quite an emotional day for me.
I had to go to the hospital at 8:30 to meet with all the big guys to talk more about their Strategic Plan. When I got there, I was surprised to find out that it was my job to present the whole plan to them. Claudia told me how to conduct the meeting, which I didn't know that I would be doing, and I got super nervous. I had to present the plan to everyone in Spanish. By the grace of God I made my way through it and got it all out! Claudia said I did fine. After we presented the plan, the Director and all of the other doctors there basically took turns speaking for 45 minutes to Claudia and I, thanking us for all that we had done. They now want to start doing things with the University and with other students, and they said that it was all due to the work of Claudia and I. I was overwhelmed by all the nice things they said to us. Completely overwhelmed. They were so thankful and appreciative and just kept going on and on about it. The Director told me that I had been adopted into the hospital, and he called me the 'daughter of the hospital.' And I cried. Claudia wanted me to say something to all of them, but was kind enough to explain that I wasn't able to because I was already crying and would just lose it if I had to speak! They asked to have a farewell get together with me in December before I leave, so I will hopefully have regained composure by then enough to thank them a million times for their hospitality, generosity, and patience.
Think about it....a group of doctors whom I have NEVER met before, take in a young student, inexperienced and unable to speak a lot of Spanish, and letting her take on a project of such importance to them and trusting her with it. The fact that they would trust me with that is incredible. And humbling.
So I cried a little more afterwards, thinking about having to tell them all goodbye and about all that I had been able to do with them and how great of an opportunity I have had, and I just let the tears flow for a while as I walked around town.
I went back to school for a bit but wasn't really in time to catch anything in class, so KL and I talked instead for a while. She was trying to Skype her boyfriend who is also studying abroad this semester in Uganda. Her computer wasn't working so I offered her my computer at my choza. We headed back and got it to working. I studied for my test while she Skyped for a bit, and then she headed off back home. I had lunch with my family and then headed back to school to take my test and such.
The test wasn't too bad. I got a B. Yay! After the test we had a 45 minute cafecito in the cafeteria with the teacher (my aunt - I call her my tia teacher!) and just talked about all kinds of things. It was fun. We then headed back to class and ended around 4:30. I hung out and talked to some people for a bit. Talked to KL for a while at the cafe next to the University and saw some tico friends walk by. Haha. I then headed back to my casa to get ready.
I showered and got ready for my sister's prom. I didn't realize that we were leaving at 6:15 instead of 6:45. So my hair had to go back in a slick straight ponytail instead of down and curly as planned. But I think it turned out for the better. Anyway we took a few photos at the casa and then headed off to the dance!
We arrived and had to wait in line outside for a while. Por dicha it wasn't raining!!! We finally made it in and sat down at our table and enjoyed some Coca Cola while we waited for the others to arrive. One of my aunts and I went outside to wait for mi amigo MIF. My host mother offered for me to bring a friend who would want to dance a lot along with me, so I decided to invite him since he likes to dance too and since he dances so well!
There was a parade of the graduates, of sorts. They eached walked down the stairs and through the arch with their parent(s). Then they brought snacks out for everyone to share. And THEN the dancing began. Initially there was a DJ who played salsa and meringue. Then the live band started! And then it was LIVE salsa, meringue, cumbia! They sounded INCREDIBLE! When I get married I want a band like that there! The music was great. And MIF and I danced a LOT! My feet were hurting, due to hours of dancing...in very high-heeled shoes. But we had a blast! My family danced a lot too. And they invited MIF and I to dance with them. And boy did we all dance! My tia teacher danced the whole night. She was the life of the group and we had so much fun!!!

I am so thankful that my host family allowed me to go along and experience all of this with them. It was a blast and I really felt like a part of the family!

1 comments:

momster said...

I am SO proud of you...I love you. MOMSTER