I am a proud Clemson Tiger, born and raised in the south, lover of all things pink, orange, and preppy, fan of college football and basketball, preacher's kid, daugher and sister in a loving family of 4, talk with a southern accent, hoping to be a pharmacist, college senior, currently living in Costa Rica studying abroad. Join me on this adventure as I blog about it all - what I'm doing here and what the culture is like, in addition to my musings on faith, fashion, and current events.

HOW TO COMMENT ON MY POSTS

Below each post is a line with the time the post was posted, and at the end it says "0 Comments." Click on that. It should immediately take you to a screen that shows all the comments on that post, as well as a text box that will allow you to type and post your own comment. Make sure to click "PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT" at the bottom so that it will show up!

Monday, November 23, 2009

weekend wrap-up

Just a summary of what went on this weekend (more photos to come!)....

FRIDAY
On Friday KL, MIF, ES and I went to Cafe Britt in Heredia. Afterwards we found some lunch, and some ice cream, and walked around Heredia, enjoying the views and playing in a park on some see-saws! We took buses to San Jose and then headed back to San Ramon. KL came to my house Friday night and we did some homework together.
SATURDAY
KL's host parents invited to take her to Volcan Poas, and she invited MIF, ES and I to go along with her! And so we did! We stopped in Sarchi first and bought a few little things in a souvenir shop, hoping that killing some time there would give the clouds enough time to disappear from atop the volcano. We headed up to Poas, but it was unfortunately very very cloudy. I'm glad that I had already been and was able to see it, because it was really cool. We couldn't even see the lagoon for all the clouds! Lastima! We enjoyed each other's company anyway. Afterwards we got back in the car, stopped on our way down the mountain for some fresh DELICIOUS strawberries, and then headed toward Grecia to get some lunch. We ate in the mercado there at a small soda, and of course had cheap and delicious casados. Afterwards we continued onward to San Ramon. We stoped at the panaderia to get some bread and such, and then went back to KL's house to have cafecito, my favorite time of the day! Afterwards, around 5, we went back to our own houses to clean up from the day. I headed back to KL's around 7:30. Then she, her brother and I went out to meet up with several of his friends. ES met up with us later. We spent the evening with the ticos, hanging out, having fun, not knowing what the next step would be! We all had a good time together and then went home.
SUNDAY
Sunday I woke up and got ready and walked to the centro to go to mass at the big Catholic church in town. It was the first mass I have ever been to. It was...well...interesting. I have never been before so it was a new experience for me and I am glad that I went!
Afterwards I went to Delicias with MIF for a while before heading home to go eat lunch with my family. We went to a buffet-style restaurant on the outside of town with big windows overlooking beautiful views of the mountains. Afterwards we went to my host dad's parents' house to hang out for a while. They offered coffee, so of course my host mother, knowing that I NEVER say no to coffee, told his mom that I would like a cup! And boy, was it tasty! His dad also gave me some Archer Farms peanuts which were scrumptious and like a little taste of home. They were so kind to me. We all had a good time talking and laughing.
We then came back home and I continued "doing homework." I Skyped a LOT yesterday with different people, and it was great to catch up with so many special people back home. I did more work last night and then went to bed before 12.
MONDAY
Today I had class from 8-11, then I hung out with some friends a bit before coming home to eat lunch. I did some homework once I got home, and then we had yummy burritos for lunch! AND my mother made fresca de pina, my FAVORITE! I love pineapply things!!!
Afterwards I did some more work and then took a 20 minute nap. I didn't set an alarm or anything, but for some reason when I lay down to take afternoon naps I just can't sleep a really long time. Boo. Anyway, the whole family left rather suddenly and my mother simply told me that my host dad's grandmother wasn't doing well and that they needed to go. So I kept the dogs inside until they left and hung out for a while at home. Then they brought my brother and sister home because they both have exams tomorrow that they needed to study for. We hung out for a while, had some ice cream, and laughed together.
I headed back to school around 3 for a mini-fiesta for DL and Claudia. Today is DL's birthday and Claudia's was last week. We had torta chilena and coffee, of course! It was scrumptious and fun for everyone in the group to hang out together.
I then went to Delicias to hang out with one of my favorite tico friends for about 45 minutes or so. We just chatted and then he had to go to his house to get some things for his class while I stayed there and did some homework.

I returned to school and did some more work there with my gringo buddies. And then I went back to the casa. My parents still had not arrived. I hung out with AM for a while, doing homework and such. Eventually my parents called to bring supper home to us - burgers and chicken from Don Pollo TWINS. It was yummy, but greasy, and I still feel kind of gross from it. Anyway, I've spent the rest of the evening doing homework and I am utterly exhausted! All this lack of sleep is catching up with me. I will probably do a LOT of catching up on it over Christmas break, though, before jumping back into the real world of college back in good ole Clemson.
Speaking of Clemson....
So glad that my Tigers are heading to the ACC Championship!!!!!!!! Wahoo! Wish I could go! If I was at home I would DEFINITELY be going, or trying to, anyway! And Clemson/Carolina is this weekend! I'm sad that I won't be there, and I can't believe that football season is nearly over for the Tigers, but what a year it has been. And to think that CJ Spiller could be the next Heisman trophy winner??!!! Of all the fall semesters for me to go abroad!!! Regardless of my location, I am proud! And am keeping my fingers crossed that we make it to a (BCS) bowl so that I can go cheer them on in person!
I will be posting some pictures separately from the weekend with short comments and such. I hate trying to put lots of pictures and lots of text in one post because the format always gets weird when I try to load pictures.
Buenas noches! 18 days, mommy!

0 comments: