I am a proud Clemson Tiger, born and raised in the south, lover of all things pink, orange, and preppy, fan of college football and basketball, preacher's kid, daugher and sister in a loving family of 4, talk with a southern accent, hoping to be a pharmacist, college senior, currently living in Costa Rica studying abroad. Join me on this adventure as I blog about it all - what I'm doing here and what the culture is like, in addition to my musings on faith, fashion, and current events.

HOW TO COMMENT ON MY POSTS

Below each post is a line with the time the post was posted, and at the end it says "0 Comments." Click on that. It should immediately take you to a screen that shows all the comments on that post, as well as a text box that will allow you to type and post your own comment. Make sure to click "PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT" at the bottom so that it will show up!

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Me hace falta un mes

11 de Noviembre....One month from today I will be heading home.

Well my alarm clock (epically) failed again. I popped awake at 6:58 am and ran to the shower. I got ready quick as I could and ate breakfast (delicious - buttered toasted pan, french toast, scrambled eggs, and coffee) and headed to school (just a minute or two late). Today in International Political Economy we watched a movie - Maria llena de gracia (Maria full of grace). It was interesting, to say the least....It was about women in Colombia who make their living by working for drug cartels who force them to swallow 60-70 pellets, each about the size of a tube of chapstick (but fatter), board an airplane to the US, get off the airplane, meet up with people in the United States, get rid of the pellets (you can imagine how this process is done), get paid, and return to Colombia to do it again. All of this happens provided that they don't get stopped or caught in the airport. If an X-ray is done, GAME OVER for the pretty ladies! At the end one of them 'died' (I imagine one of the pellets came unwrapped in her stomach and messed up her system), and then it was made to look like a suicide or homicide, and they cut her open to get the pellets. It was disturbing.

After class I came home and did homework until lunch time. Today we had hamburgers for lunch. Yum! I then continued doing homework after lunch until 2 pm, when my mother, sister and I took off to the centro to do some shopping! On my way out I saw my neighbor tico friend and waved hello. We headed to a jewelry store first so that my host mother could pick up some accessories. Afterwards mi hermana y yo walked around town in search of the perfect dresses and shoes for me to wear to her dinner and to the dance! I loved the first dress I tried on (usually happens to me) but instead of giving in I decided to wait. I soon found a lovely dark turquoise strapless sweetheart cut dress that I will wear to the dinner, and I ended up going back for the first dress I tried on, a black one shoulder dress. Don't worry, there WILL be pictures. I found some slinky silver gladiator high heels to match both dresses.

Mi hermana and I then went to Delicias to meet one of her aunts for cafecito. This particular aunt has lived in the United States, altogether 12 years total! She is taking my host sister and brother and some of the other cousins and aunts and uncles to Disney World in January! She is fun to talk to, and I enjoyed having cafecito with them.

After finding some earrings and such, AM and I returned home. My host mother seemed to like the dresses I had found. I did homework for anothe rlittle wihle or so, and AM invited me to go see a movie at 7 with her and my brother and my aunt (same one!). We went to see the same movie that I saw with my friends last week. On Wednesday movies are only 1200 colones = just over US $2. Yes, that's what I had said, as Bon Qui Qui would say! The movie was good the second time around, and I was able to pick up more of what was said this time. It's a good feeling to be able to go see a movie in Spanish, without subtitles or anything, and understand what is being said!


We returned home, and then AM and I watched another pelicula that was on TV in her room. I then retired to my quarters, but still somehow did not go to sleep. I Skyped for a while, and then went to sleep after 11.


I am thankful for the quality time that I was able to spend with my host sister today, and am looking forward to even more with the dinner and dance coming up! Be looking for pictures!

1 comments:

momster said...

Woohoo...one month!!! I get the first hug!